The story of JANE & LUKE - 2

"I want to know what happened!!" I heard my voice repeat inside my head. Over and over again. Jane was right in front of me. Ready to leave unanswered. But I was determined to learn what had happened to her. Even while I was right there standing with her, All I could think of was how radiating Jane was. Her eyes especially. They always gleamed. Her hands held closely against her chest to keep her away from the cold. Her hair untied. It did dangle with the wind. It swayed across her face. And when she let a heavy breath I was hoping she was ready for whatever she was going to reveal to me. I was hoping to understand the issue and resolve it for Jane. "My Jane" I thought. The thought itself pushed me into reality. It didn't occur to me that I was a nobody to Jane. I didn't think she would give me the peace I was looking for.

She was still standing in front of me and I stood waiting for her to open her mouth and speak! For one time I needed to know why she was that way that day. There could have been many days like those that I may not have been aware of entirely.
She still hadn't answered. She just seemed to be thinking hard again. I couldn't make out much of what she was thinking though.

"I want an answer and that would be the end of it " I blurted. I looked at her while I made a promise I could not keep. It was starting to get dark. The sun had set. The horizon clear. There were no stars that evening nor the moon shined. It was a clear sky getting darker. I looked up at the sky and hadn't realized Jane was too.

"Somehow..." she started, "This darkness doesn't scare me like Daylight.." she said.
"What does that supposed to mean?" I questioned.
"I don't think I can tell you all that." she replied.
" Jane.." I said and I paused for a moment. I let a breath out and took a look at her eyes.
She continued, " We don't know each other. And I can't tell you what ever that is happening with me and my life! We don't talk. We don't hangout so why should I tell you ? you're not even my Friend !" She said. She was looked stern.
" You have no idea how many times I have failed trying to talk to you. Trying to hangout with you. You don't even know I existed untill this very day! So don't play the blame game and tell me what's wrong. I won't judge anything. I swear. " I told her. I thought I had put my efforts to persuade her to tell me and she began.

" You know how I take the bus to my home right? I always seem to travel in the longer routes to reach home. I didn't take the shorter route. But I did that day.
And on that day - The day I took the shorter route to reach home early and avoid all the noises honking in my ears. I started walking through the streets. It wasn't night time. It was a broad mid-day. The sun was harsh I suppose. The street was silent and I walked and walked and walked... Untill there was a big thud ahead of me. It sent a shiver down my spine to even imagine what was happening. I raced to the sound and I found a person. A guy. He had already met with some kind of an accident and he wasn't saying anything. He lay on the street. His leg mangled while it was stuck between the vehicle and the street - Jammed. I don't think he was in any pain. He looked peacefull at heart or something. I can't say what I saw. I still don't understand
I didn't think he'd be alive.
I still stood doing nothing.
I stood there looking at a guy who had met with an accident. He probably had internal injuries. I don't know.. I don't know
But I didn't do anything.
I didn't. I didn't !
I might have saved him.
Or I might have let him die. I don't know.
Because I did nothing at all. That bothered me for the longest time. It still does.
And then someone else rushed to the placed. Called for an ambulance. The Police were also there. And I didn't think they had noticed me. By the time everyone was gone it was evening. And I still stood there. I felt my stomach twist. I felt my tounge swell up so I couldn't utter a word. I couldn't feel my leg moving anywhere. They were pinned to the place I guess. That was it. That was all that happened that day.
But what happened after that was all in my head. I heard the guy passed away in the ICU.
I started seeing him.
When I was walking. I saw his face. He had dusky skin. A sharp nose. I could clearly see the lines on his forehead. I saw his fingers. And everything about the guy who died in front of me.
And I did see him. I saw him walking ahead of me. I saw him walking behind me too and sometimes beside. I saw him looking for me. I saw him smiling at me. I didn't think he was a devil or something. I thought of him as a person. A person dead to the world  but very much alive in my memories and mind. I felt like I breathed life into a person I didn't even know. In my mind he was very much alive. And that's when I started getting worried.

I worried for what my mind was doing. Running away from reality. Not accepting his death. I realized this and I had decided to get help that I very much understood I needed.
That day when you saw me. I was talking to myself. I was nervous about the guy who died. I'd think he would come up and talk to me. My doctor advised I take 30 seconds to understand the difference of a reality and the imagination of the mind. So I had closed my eyes shut. I repeated to myself that he was there only because of my mind. That's when you see me and think I'm a mad girl. "

"... ohhhhhhhhhh.. I see " was my reaction to the entire story Jane had just finished. She sighed. I smiled at her.

The air between us was unusual. Nothing exotic nor dim. I didn't want to ask anything further. I kept my questions to myself and I didn't realize I was lost in my thoughts while Jane nudged me and asked "How many times did you try talking to me?"
" Ugh-oh. Hard to say " I joked.
" Fine " Jane replied. " Well. I guess I've told you what the whole thing was and you should not be asking me anymore more. I'll have to leave now because I'll be taking the longer route home. You take care Luke. Byeee! " She said.
"Oh right. Bye." I said. I was desperately trying hard to not to reveal that I so wanted to walk with her.
She went her way.
She didn't look back
And neither did I want to wait around for her to look back.
We parted there.
It wasn't like I missed her or anything but if she ever needed me. I'd be there for her. I'm sure of that.
I turned back and shouted ,"JANE !"
She didn't hear me but I shouted her name again. This time a whole lot louder.
And she turned around.

"Can I walk you to the bus stop ?" I asked..
" Sure. Why not? Run along man " she said
And I did.


~THE END

Comments

  1. Nice continuity, definitely worth the wait to read this. Keep it up mercy, looking forward to a lot more amazing work from u.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment